Thursday, December 17, 2009

Landscape of Memories

Photographs can be visual memories that conjure up thoughts and feelings that tantalize, sadden, and at times fill us with emotions. A photograph made from an emotional response has a personal quality that only we the photographer (artist) can understand. That is unless you share the memory.

Landscape of Memories II

Landscape of Memories

Over the past month I have been working on a project that has brought me to familiar places. Places I have know for many of years. Places that I have photographed before, yet have had no real memory of or connection to. Part of my project has been about using film as a basis for getting away from the static every day use of digital. Film holds a nostalgic quality. A quality that can also be found in memories.  Film is more tangible than digital photography. From before you make a photograph, you are holding a piece of the photograph. I find that using film for my project gives more depth and dimension than shooting with digital.

image7-2

 image10

image1-1

My project is on going. It has been for some time now. New memories have created new images. Images I feel should be shared, shared with the people who carry the same memories.

2 comments:

VanDog said...

I really like the last photo. It captures the season perfectly.

Jeffrey Byrnes said...

Thank you Peter. I saw similar view today while shooting for a client. Downside, I was unable to make the photograph because of my duties to our clients.