Monday, June 23, 2008

Cape Cod, a relfection from the spring.

Summer officially started three days ago. I sit
at my desk in the studio thinking of my time in Province town, MA back in April. That trip was one that will stay burned in my mind for years to come.

On the trip down, I sat in the back of our van, admiring the work of Joel Meyerowitz through his book entitled "Cape Light". I spent the majority of the trip walking in his 30 year old shadow, seeing what he once saw. (which hasn't changed much since my childhood, which I'm also assuming hasn't changed since the days he was walking the streets of Provincetown and the Cape producing photographs for his book.)

It was his inspiration that allowed me to capture some perfect fleeting moments and see my childhood memories in a new perspective. I now have a body of work that replaced my childhood memories of the Cape and Provincetown with a collection of work I hold as homage to Joel Meyerowitz.

What made the trip successful, (outside the massive body of work I created while there) was being asked to write a photographic essay and submit photographs to accompany that essay. The above text in italics is the photographic essay that I wrote for the publication. The photograph to the left (which unfortunately wasn't published in the essay, due to the lack of knowledge of Joel Meyerowitz on the editors end) best shows just how visually inspired I was by Meyerowitz.

If you are unfamiliar with the work of Joel Meyerowitz, I strongly recommend either googling his name or finding your way to a library and or book store. I know Barns and Noble has a huge book that he produced when 9/11 occurred. He was one of the very first photographers to be allowed into ground zero. (being from New York, it only made sense to allow him access.) Knowing this now I'm pretty sure you have seen at least one of his photographs.

So go, now, yes this very second and look him up. He has some rather interesting work aside from what I just wrote about. I do not think you will be disappointed with what you find.

No comments: