Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Fuji Announces 3D Digital Camera: The future is emerging.

The pixel war has seemed to calm down over the past year. The HIGH ISO settings are getting increasingly better, as camera manufacturers keep pushing the boundaries when it comes to building better High ISO settings.  Grain and noise with High ISO are getting much smoother and better. So what are the next major and dramatic changes to be featured in digital cameras? Well, Pentax already has a good system with HDR (High Dynamic Range) capabilities being built into the camera. Soon we will see more camera manufacturers catching up with HDR in cameras. Until then, well, I guess we will just have to settle for 3D capabilities in digital cameras. For the better part of 3 years now I have heard little rumors here and there that manufacturers were thinking the next major change to come to photography was 3D technology. I was skeptical to believe it at first, but the more I heard rumors the more the idea has grown in my head. What will these images look like? So, over the past two years, I have been on and off again thinking about when we would see this new advancement.

By chance yesterday, I found a link to a new camera that Fuji is putting out. Fuji yesterday announced its new FinePix REAL 3D W1 digital camera.  This new little tech toy is home to 10.0 mega pixels, 3x Optical Zoom, 2.8-inch LCD screen, and ISO up 1600.

The new 3D camera is not yet available, but will be“tentatively”  available in the fall. I have not yet found a price for this cool little toy, but rest assured, I will be making the purchase as soon as it is available. I already have some interesting ideas of how I could use this new technology.

Past 3D technology: Looking into the history of photography.

3D technology maybe a new thing to digital cameras, but it is not fairly new to photography. In 1850 Stereographs and Stereoscopes  were invented by Sir William Brewster. Wikipedia on Stereographs

Stereograph

Stereoscope

 

Looking back into the History of Photography offers us a fresh and some times new perspective on approaching photography as medium. I am constantly reminded of something from the History of Photography when I view images now, use a digital camera, or one of my many manual cameras. Looking backwards doesn’t always teach us that history tells us not to repeat our mistakes or that history repeats its self, but allows us to find look backwards for a perspective. I am always looking into and researching the forefathers of photography for inspiration when it comes to some of my personal work.

How does the history of photography affect the future? Well the past is what sets forth the foundation for future. When I began studying photography in high school in 1999 I didnt even know that digital photography existed. We spent a year working with film, paper, and 35 mm cameras. Some work with medium and large format was done, but minimal at best. Digital photography was something I had not even thought of. All these years later, after going to school for photography, and learning all the most current digital photography trends, techniques, and well everything I can possibly know about digital photography, I can safely say, I anticipate the future of photography and what is next to come.

No comments: