Sunday, May 10, 2009

Vintage Cameras

There was a time once when cameras were so simple to use, all it took to operate them was the press of a button, (for lack of the term shutter release). No setting your white balance or f-stops. No making sure your ISO wasn’t producing to much noise or worrying about your battery dying. No, cameras then were very simplistic and needed nothing more than a roll of film.

Pictured here is the newest camera to add to my collection. It is a Vintage Saber 620 C1956-1972. This camera is built with the minimalist photographer in mind. It features nothing more than a single shutter release. No f-stops or aperture settings. There is are two little holes on the side of the camera (opposite the film advance side) for a flash bulb that could be used. It houses a very simple view finder. The Saber 620 uses 620 film. Producing a 2 1/4 x 2 1/4 image on the negative.  620 film is  a type of film that I am almost positive is almost extinct or already is. B&H has 620 listed on their site, but it is “currently out of stock”. Which to me signals that this film is no longer being produced. It comes as no surprise, since Polaroid is nearly dead as well.

My Sabre is still very much operational. I have plans for it. Great plans indeed. The only issue is film. However, this for me is a very simple issue that I will be able to work around. In a short time, maybe by the end of May, I should have a few photos to share. Minimalist, simple cameras can still be fun with a little bit of creativity and the right know how when it comes to using them.

Sabre 006

Sabre 002

  Sabre 003

Sabre 004 

Sabre 007

1 comment:

M.M.E. said...

Lovely little camera. I just found a 1956 Kodak Duaflex in my grandma's camera and was able to finish off the expired film. I posted the results on my blog. They turned out better than I ever imagined.