Sunday, September 28, 2008

Friday after I left the studio, I stood in the pouring rain shooting film for the first time in months. I was on my way home when I happened to drive into a compositional dream. On one side of the road I had people working in a drained canal, trying to repair some structural damage. Where as the other side of the road I had a building that had been burned down. A massive fire this past summer destroyed yet another building in Holyoke. Parts of it remained standing while it was surrounded by what used to be the structure of a once thriving business. Needless to say I was having quite a good time shooting film. I got so involved in shooting that I made myself late for a dinner party that evening. But, it was a small sacrifice I needed to make in order to shoot in those conditions. I have been unable to get the rolls processed yet. But, I look forward to posting those photographs up as soon as I can get them back. Until then I will leave you with this instead.

This is a fire alarm that I shot two weeks ago. It is located on a corner in Holyoke, MA. It is almost directly in-front of a fires station that is closed down. It is rather ironic that a fire alarm stands across from a closed down fire station. Part of Holyoke's history involves numerous fires that destroyed some landmark buildings. With the way life has evolved and just how many people now carry cellphones. Fire alarms are a thing of the past. Just like pay phones there is almost no need for them any more.

5 comments:

SW Photography said...

That is a cool piece of history! Love the color!

FASHION CHALET said...

What a cool photo. I love the foggyness all around it in black.

Thanks for your comment. I love making a chic look without having to spend very much $ I think it's an art form, or so I have been told. I don't know.. it's what I like to do best. And I agree, you don't have to spend a lot of money to have the perfect piece, like the pants you mentioned. And I really love that.

Thanks for the get well wishes. Still getting through this terrible cold. Tea, soup and more orange juice and rest for me.....

xo/ fashion chalet

Jeffrey Byrnes said...

Thank you, Id just like to note that this was shot in camera.

chauss said...

thanks for stopping by my blog. it is fashion for the body, and the soul. come visit anytime!

Ashleigh said...

Thanks for stoppin' by =)....I noticed you did a camera post....im in the market for a new one but the ones I really like are over a grand :s...I think I might stick with my sony...any sites/places you would recommend?