Thursday, September 4, 2008

Small School, Big Results

SUPPORT THE ARTS

My education thus far consists of an Associates Degree in Photography. Seems like a small step into a big industry right? Well, more or less an Associates Degree will only get my foot into the door of some small studios. I don't need a degree to start a photography business, but the education pays off in the long run. I am not stopping at an Associates Degree. I will be back in school in January for a BFA (Bachelors in Fine Arts with a concentration in Photography). I would like to obtain a Masters to have something to fall back onto later in life.

Ok, so you maybe asking yourself, "why is he talking about his education?" Well the answer is very clear. Because, with out my education I wouldn't be where I am today. I can credit the amazingly talented professors at Holyoke Community College for having educated me as well as given me direction and encouragement in all of my academic pursuits. I fully support the Educators at Holyoke Community College. Having expressed this, I would like to take a moment to express some terrible news that I received this evening from a professor from the school.

Holyoke Community College is in the process of updating its photography program. They are finishing up the construction of a brand new state of the art photography lab. Full digital capabilities as well as new classes being offered. Robert Aller is the Professor that can be credited for having made this change possible. But of course, even the strengths, determination, and drive of one amazing person, that is not enough to protect the institution of high budget slashes. From a source tonight the photography program lost a substantial amount of funding. $100,000 to be exact. This money was going to be used for the digital lab as well as the rest of the lab and darkroom.

I am bringing this to your attention because I would like to see donations being made. Your donations will help place the very much needed equipment into a new lab that will further educated students in the arts. If you are interested in making any kind of donation PLEASE contact me via email at JeffreyrByrnes@verizon.net I will put you in touch with the right people that will gladly speak with you about any and all types of donations and contributions you can make. Please help support the arts, your support will further the education of many talented people and help a struggling institution.

Thank you,

Jeffrey Byrnes

No comments: